Wednesday, May 25, 2011

GALINDA DRESS!!!!

I have been working for a long time to get this post. It all started with me wanting to sing "Popular" from the musical Wicked. Look it up-- you'll see that in the video, Glinda (or "Galinda" as she is called in Act I) wears a fluffy pink ball gown. There are lots of people who want this dress, but there is no replica for sale!!!!! Well, when I found out I was singing "Popular" for my voice recital, I decided that I needed to make this dress. Not only was it essential for the part, but it was an *amazing* challenge. I started looking for patters and fabric everywhere. It wasn't easy to find crinkled pink chiffon in the right shade, and in the end I didn't even get it quite right. Of course, last weekend I found the perfect fabric at Hobby Lobby, but I had already bought this stuff.

Anyway, once I had located the right pattern (Murphy's layer skirt, here) and decided that my top pattern would be cutting apart my pink camisole, I was set. It took me a few days to sew, and no part of it was easy. Still, I made it. Also, if you want one of these dresses, email me at annastarmoon@gmail.com and we'll figure out all the good stuff like prices and sizes.


Here's the whole top. It's very complicated.
A close-up of the corsety ribbon part.
This is the beribboned edge the skirt. They took a loooooong time to sew on.
This is between the layers of the skirt. The fabric I used was gray, which was a mistake, since it shows a little bit when I spin. From now on, I'm using pink.
Here's a picture of the skirt.
 See, I sewed the fabric over an old pink cami. It works really well, since it just took on the shape of something that I knew fit me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Anna! Your dress is beautiful: I just posted a link to your blog on P&G in case people don't see the comment. :)

    Did you tape your recital? I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely!

    You've got a cute blog, maybe you'd like to follow each other?

    ∆FASHIONWHIT∆

    ReplyDelete