Friday, March 11, 2011

Raiding My Grandmother's Closet

Yes, that says what you think it says. I find great stuff in my grandmother's closet. I clothed myself for an entire summer that way. I guess I'm lucky that I have a stylish grandmother who is also my exact size, otherwise I would probably have half the clothes I do. It's what got me started on vintage (which I am now obsessed with. Case in point: Rag-O-Rama in Atlanta, GA. AWESOME STORE). Mimi (as my brother nicknamed my grandmother when he was learning how to speak) is taking me to N.Y.C. soon (11 days!!!!) and when I'm in New York, I drink the fashion world like water. Last time, I got this really comfortable, very New York-y looking brown dress at American Apparel. It's the one place that all my crazy looks are at home. I'm also going to see Wicked there, and you know those costumes got a Tony Award!!! I suppose a certain style skips a generation, because my own mother says that HER crazy great-aunts were her biggest fashion influences. Stuff works in crazy ways.
Here are some great pieces that Mimi has given me over the years.
We're bringing back the '80s with tis J. Crew blazer! (note: not actually from the '80s. Hey, my grandmother is a shopper)

I got this when grandmother gave it to me for my spring piano recital. Made by Lily.

This was part of my costume in a musical last fall. Charter Club.

Crazy amazing dress. I like to wear it with green skinny cords. Pinkerton.

Another great blazer, though I need to study my grandmother for the proper things to wear blazers with. J. Crew.

LOVE THIS VEST. So chunky and warm! Talbots.

This is probably the thing from this post that I've worn the most. Unfortunately, I don't know what brand it is because the tag has been cut out. I'm thinking maybe J. Crew, but just because Mimi likes it so much.

Anyway, au revoir for now.... and remember: if your grandmother has boxes in her attic or basement, it might mean that she has super amazing old vintage clothes in them. LOOK. You will find good stuff. Happy hunting!

7 comments:

  1. Hey Anna! great stuff! did u make any of it? Just wondering.. By the way its mandi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tre bien! Loved this post dear cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! And Mandi, I didn't make any of the stuff I posted today, but I did greatly alter the dress I posted a couple of days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know of ANYONE who loves clothes like your Mimi!! She is the only one that I have ever loved to shop with. In the 70's she and I used to stop by 7 Eleven in Columbia to get a beer and then drive to Nashville to shop. I recommend the shopping, just NOT the drinking a beer while driving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How stylish and vintage! I love the dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ANNA, I LOVE YOUR "STYLIN'! DIDN'T RECOGNISE ANY OF THE PAPER DOLLS THO I PLAYED WITH THEM AT CUD'N REBECCA'S AND CUD'N MILBURN'S MANY, MANY MOONS AGO WHEN YOUR MIMI AND I WERE LITTLE GIRLS. LOVE FROM CUD'N FRANCES

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Mimi has always been a fashion expert! I was her roommate in college and was in envy of her outfits. Way to go!!! Corky

    ReplyDelete